Circuit Schematic LED VU Meter with LM3916

Indicator. - Here is Circuit Schematic LED VU Meter with LM3916. LM3916 is a dedicated IC for VU LED meter. Unlike LM3915 which have 3dB step between voltage levels, the LM3916 have nonlinear steps: -20, -10, -7, -5, -3, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3db, just like old school analog VU meters. I saw in YouTube an interesting commercial LED VU meter, which imitates the needle movement in analog VU meters and I thought I can make a similar one. All I needed I found in the datasheet of LM3916.

Figure 1. Schematic LED VU Meter with LM3916
(Source: www.electronics-lab.com)

The LM3916 can be feed with AC signal without any rectification, but I wanted to implement a precision full wave rectification. I chose the schematic on page 13, fig.21 of the datasheet: "Precision Full-Wave Peak Detector".

The LEDs are connected via sockets J3 to J12 (only one row LEDs is shown on the schematic) and I found that it's cheaper to use a 28 pin IC sockets cut in half than regular 40 pin sockets. Of course LEDs can be soldered directly on the PCB.



Thank you for your coming here in Electronic Index blog, we hope the article above will help you to know more about your an electronic circuit schematic design and simulation and other. Please comment here when you want to share and other. Thank you.

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment